Thursday 10 July 2014

Knitted baby hats

Slightly delayed post today due to exam results - failed the one I wanted to pass, passed the one I thought I'd failed.  Not such a great day overall!  Might have to make something to cheer myself up...

I do have something to confess... I counted all my “on the go” knitting projects this week. Eighteen.  Then, I looked at the crochet ones I’ve on the go.  Three (which is much more reasonable!).  And I’ve one sewing project on the go.  Which has made me realise: I need to finish more things!

This week has actually been pretty good for finishing things.  The only problem: all were projects started this week too!  As I alluded to in my last post, I’ve been making some baby hats.  Not for anyone in particular, but more because I wanted an easy project that I could finish relatively quickly.  Plus, on a trip to a craft shop whilst staying at my in-laws, I spotted some lovely green yarn that went together really well – my first thought was of a zigzag pattern baby hat I’d seen in a magazine.  I'm sure at some point I'll find myself in need of a hand knitted baby hat...  And I'll be ready if I do!

First thing’s first though, I made a stripy one with a kit that came with the same magazine. It is a simple rib-edged hat with easy decreases for shaping. It has matching mittens and booties too, but the former still needs sewing together, and the latter I haven’t started yet.  Hopefully they’ll be a topic of a future post…

Back to this stripy hat.  Below is a picture:


 
It was remarkably quick to knit, and quite easy to sew together – just one seam along the back.  The worst bit was sewing in all the ends!  The yarn has a nice shiny look to it, but went a little thin on the pink.  I’m still pretty happy with it though – my first baby hat!

The second was quick to follow.  With this, the colourwork isn’t simple stripes, it’s a fair isle pattern.  Which sounded really scary – I’d never tried that before and it always seemed so complicated.  This pattern was a good beginner’s choice though, as there were only ever two colours at once and it was a fairly straight-forward pattern.  It also has the advantage of being quite small:


Once I got to grips with carrying the yarn loosely across the back, it wasn’t too hard at all, though to start with I think I pulled it a little tight, so my hat doesn’t really sit flat.  Hopefully once they’re on a baby’s head you won’t be able to notice!  I also managed to finish it in an afternoon, which is great for me as I usually start projects, then once they’re put down I start on something else…  Hence the eighteen on the go!  So projects I can do in one sitting are ideal for my short attention span.  The yarn itself is acrylic, and though it was all the same brand the greens were somewhat softer than the white...  Still, it was good to knit with and has a nice stitch definition - for £1.75 a ball it's great value.  There was also plenty of wool left at the end, as the three balls were 100g each, so I've started a cardigan... 

Anyway, I'll just leave you with a sneaky look at what I've been knitting this week, that I'll post about next Thursday...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment