Friday 18 July 2014

Green squares blanket

So I've had quite a crafty week!  A large chunk of this has been making my godson his christening present, which I'll post about next week once he's had it.  We also went bed shopping for the house we're trying to buy...  The one we liked will be nice and big so plenty of space under it for my craft supplies! 

So the topic of this week's post is a beautiful green baby blanket that I had a sneaky picture of in my last post.  It was a simple pattern, with alternating sections of knit and purl stitches to make a squares pattern, as you can see in this picture:

 

The yarn used is king cole comfort chunky, in shade 'Dill', if you're interested.  Its really soft, though knitting it in the warm weather possibly wasn't my best idea! It got very warm when it rested in my lap.  If I knit another, I think I'll do so in winter!

As the yarn is chunky, it was knitted on 7mm needles and so was really quick to make, despite being rather sizeable.  The yarn did split on a few occasions though, and the weight of it got to be considerable by the time I was using the third 100g ball - it's amazing how heavy it can feel when it's on the needles!

The edging was simple too - I'm not particularly practiced at picking up stitches, but luckily this didn't require it.  The edges (see the below picture) were done by slipping the first stitch then knitting the second of each row, then knitting the last two stitches on each row.

 
In total, it took a week to finish (and I don't get a lot of time to do such things during the week!) which means it would be perfect to make as a present for someone expecting a baby.  Mine, I suspect, will end up keeping me warm instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment