Tuesday 30 January 2018

Toys, toys and George the turtle

Hello! So it's really not been very long since my last post, but I've got something super exciting that I can't wait any longer to tell you.

For a (very long) while I've been working on my first proper pattern, George the turtle. Isn't he cute?



George the turtle came about when I wanted to make a small toy for my then one year old - I told you I'd been working on it for a while! – we’d been to the aquarium and had been fascinated by them. I couldn’t find a small, quick pattern I liked so I made George.

I'm going to give you a bit more information about the pattern now, in advance of the actual pattern being published on my blog in two weeks time.

Notes on the pattern 

Dc2tog is a decrease over 2sts – I suggest using an invisible decrease (so first part through front loops only)

2dc into same stitch – this is the increase.

The number in brackets at end of round is the number of stitches you should have.


The pattern is worked in a spiral, with no turning or joining at ends of rounds, so using a marker helps to keep track of rounds.

When using magic circles, after closing sew in the ends securely so they won’t come undone.

Abbreviations

Dc - double crochet
tog - together
St(s) - stitch(es)


UK terms will be used throughout the pattern


Really important point that last one which is why I've made it bold and underlined it.


Materials you'll need to make your own George

Small amount of wool – I’ve used leftover DK

Appropriate hook (largest size that doesn’t leave holes) – I’ve used a 3mm

Small amount of toy stuffing

Stitch marker or different colour thread to keep track of the rounds

Noise maker (optional – if you want it to rattle)

Needle for sewing

Scissors

So, hopefully you're now set and know everything you need to in advance of the pattern being released on Tuesday 13 February, at 1pm.  I'm so excited to see other little turtles that get made.

Other toys

So in addition to that really exciting news, I have managed to make a few other toys over the months I didn't update my blog.

Probably my favourite is this snow leopard - they're one of my favourite animals. The wool is gorgeous alpaca, dyed by Lisa at Made by Penguins.  If you've not come across them and you like hand dyed wool I strongly suggest you have a look at some of the lovely things she sells!  Anyway, here's my snow leopard:



The colours work beautifully and saved me so much colour changing! Plus the end result is beautifully soft.  I have plenty left over so when I find time I think I'll make a mini version.

I've also had the pleasure of testing a couple of toy patterns recently - firstly this adorable panda that I turned into a rattle toy, designed by Itchy Crochet. The pattern is now available - it was really easy to follow and quick to make. My toddler did try to claim it, however it was a gift for a new baby. I think it's quite cute!



The second is this guinea pig by the talented Alison of petalscraftsandme. The pattern is coming soon and is really great. It has instructions on exactly where to put eyes etc so you can be sure of making a cute little creature. I tested the 'Ginger' version, using sirdar snuggly spots and here's the result:


I loved testing both patterns, so thank you Alison and Amanda for letting me. 

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say, so hopefully I'll see you back in two weeks for George the turtle's pattern. Wishing you much crafty time before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment