Tuesday 16 June 2015

Still waiting...

So baby is far too comfortable and has proved everyone wrong and is officially late. Trying to avoid induction using every old wives tale there is but I'm starting to think I'll be pregnant forever..... No signs of baby wanting to arrive anyway!  On the up side, it has given me more time to do some baby related projects.

The first project I started with, using the lovely fabric that arrived just before my last post, is a bag for myself.  Now I hadn't quite appreciated how hard that cutting out pieces from a large piece of fabric laid out on the floor at over 40 weeks pregnant would be...  As such it was extremely slow progress and a rate of one piece every hour or so! Over the course of two days the pieces finally got cut out.  I've since ironed them all and backed with interfacing so they're ready to see together. Sadly, they are still waiting on the kitchen table:



So what have I actually finished?  Well I had a lot of fabric left over so had a think about what I could use it for.  Baby's room has something of an animal theme (it would be safari theme but we have a penguin and polar bear soft toys along with an elephant and hippo, plus many teddy bear items so it kind of falls apart a bit!).  As such, I wondered how I could use the fabric to make some pictures - like every other room in our house the walls are plain cream as it was a new build and we've yet to decorate.

I came up with the idea of using the fabric as a backing and putting animal silhouettes on them before framing.  Here are the finished pictures:



They were really quite simple to make, and here are the steps to do so:

1) First, you need a frame with a mount, some backing fabric the size of the frame, some fabric for the silhouettes (I used felt) and a template for the silhouettes (I searched the Internet for something I liked and re-sized it to fit the frame)

2) With the backing fabric, I added some iron on medium weight interfacing to add a bit of rigidity to the fabric

3) Using the template, cut out the animals.  If using light on dark, multiple layers may be required (I used two for the white elephants to prevent the backing showing through)

4) If using multiple layers attach them together either by sewing or you could glue them instead if you want a quicker finish

4) Then it's a case of positioning the animal on the backing fabric - to do this lay the mount on the fabric and position it where you'd like.  I've put mine centrally.  Once you're happy with the position you need to attach the silhouette to the backing fabric - again, you could sew or glue it in place

5) Finally attach the mount to the backing fabric - I used double sided tape to do this - then frame.

I hope you like them - I think they'll look great once we get round to actually hanging them up in baby's room!  For now, they're in the cot...

Anyway, hopefully for my post in two weeks time I'll have an exciting new arrival...  or I'll be breaking records for the longest recorded pregnancy!  Lets hope its the former...

No comments:

Post a Comment